Thursday, January 7, 2010

If I live in North Carolina, and I want to go to college in California, could I get financial AID

If I live in North Carolina, and I want to go to college in California, could I get financial AID?
I live in NC right now and I am looking to attend college in California. I'm not really sure how things work with the out-of-state programs but I was wondering would I be able to get financial AID/student loan for out-of-state college?
Financial Aid - 1 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
Yes, you definitely can get financial aid and student loans if you go to an out-of-state college. I'm from California and attended a university in Connecticut with no problems at all, and my family is quite poor. You might be ineligible for state help, but you won't have any problems getting federal aid. For example, California gives some of its student residents the Cal Grant, but because I went to school in Connecticut, I was ineligible for this grant. I'm not sure if North Carolina has a similar grant program, but let me reassure you it's not a big deal going to an out-of-state college. Just keep in mind that public schools, such as UCLA, will often charge you more if you are an out-of-state student. Private schools, such as Stanford, won't charge out-of-state students any more or less. If you're looking at any of the UCs over here in California, I would recommend attending a California community college first and then transferring. It's waaaay cheaper, and they make the process very easy. Junior-level community college students (that is, students who have completed two years at a community college) get priority when they apply. If your grades are decent, you're almost guaranteed to be accepted. They'll even write up contracts with the school you want to go to. You agree to take certain classes and pass with good grades, and they agree to reserve your spot when you're ready to transfer. You get your general education out of the way, as well as lower division major requirements, and once you're at the UC, it's smooth sailing. It's a great system. You can do the same thing for CSUs. See assist.org for more information on transferring between California public colleges and universities.





Read more discussions :

No comments:

Post a Comment