Wednesday, April 21, 2010

How can I be a "resident" of California for college

How can I be a "resident" of California for college?
I want to go to college in California, but don't want to pay the outrageous nonresident fees because I live in Kansas. If I get an apartment in California the summer before college does that make me a resident? My grandparents live in Bakersfield, CA. Can I use their address?
Higher Education (University +) - 4 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
Use your grandparents address. I used my Dad's friend's address to get into a California school and I live in Arkansas.
Answer 2 :
yeah you can ...if you get caught though you could get in pretty big trouble. and you have to live there for a full year in order to claim residency. so you could use your grandparents address for a little bit then after you have had your apartment for awhile ...switch the addresses but you are gonna have a problem with your high school cause they are gonna wonder why your high school is in kansas.
Answer 3 :
When my daughter and I tried to do this we were told you had to attend high school here in California for at least a year and preferably graduate from high school in California. California just cut hundreds of millions of dollars off their university systems budgets. The schools here are now getting super tight on making sure you really are a resident before offing in state rates. If your grade 12 transcript is from out of state, you will be charged out of state rates.
Answer 4 :
You must live in CA for one year before you can claim residency in CA. The easiest way to do this is to get a CA ID. But you would have to be here to do it. Good luck!





Read more discussions :

No comments:

Post a Comment